Star Pubs & Bars looks to ease rent concessions as sector unlocks

By James McAllister

- Last updated on GMT

Star Pubs & Bars looks to ease rent concessions as sector unlocks

Related tags Star pubs & bars Rent concessions lockdown Coronavirus Pub & bar

Star Pubs & Bars is to extend its 90% rent reduction for pubs on core leased & tenanted agreements until mid May, before easing the concessions as the sector unlocks.

The 90% reduction in rent for Star licensees in England, which was due to end on 1 March, will now run until 16 May.

From 17 May (when pubs are able to reopen inside with restrictions in place if the Government’s roadmap is successful) until 20 June, the discount will be reduced to 10% in rent concessions, leaving 90% payable by licensees.

Star estimates the combination of these rent discounts means about half (50%) of rent will be due for the month of May.

Finally, from 21 June (the date in which the Government’s roadmap states all legal limits on social contact will be removed), licensees will need to pay their rent in full.

The move takes Star Pubs & Bars’ investment in rent reductions to £62m since March 2020, the group says.

Rent concessions will also be offered to Star pubs in Scotland and Wales once there is clarity from the devolved governments on reopening dates.

Star Pubs & Bars adds that its rent concessions will remain under review in the event of any Government policy alterations and additional Government support for the pub sector.

In addition to rent relief, Star Pubs & Bars is offering free Covid Safety point-of-sale materials, and a raft of reopening support including new training modules, trading insight, and supplier discounts to help licensees make the most of their outdoor space.

“If the Government sticks to its reopening roadmap plans, it should be a great summer as research shows the public can’t wait to get back to the pub," says Lawson Mountstevens, managing director Star Pubs & Bars.

"We’ve invested significantly in rent concessions over the last 12 months to help ensure our pubs are ready and able to re-open to meet this demand.”

“Following the Chancellor’s support package [in the Budget], including the announcement of cash restart grants, the Government needs to look at the long-term sustainability of the pub industry.

"We are excited about investment opportunities across the UK and have a leading role to play in helping the country’s economic recovery and supporting the Government’s levelling-up agenda – but we need meaningful alcohol duty and business rates reform, as well as a long-term VAT cut on all sales across hospitality.”

Related news

Show more

Follow us

Hospitality Guides

View more